I can't complete the sign up
We are aware of an issue with some users unable to sign up when they enter their licence details. If you get a message saying ‘Oops something went wrong’ after you entered your learner licence details, try signing up through the web browser (Chrome, Safari or Microsoft Edge). We apologise for any inconvenience while we get this bug fixed.
How do I sign up for Drive?
Signing up for Drive is easy. Just click on the ‘Sign up’ button at the top right of your screen. All you’ll need to provide is your name, email, date of birth and password.
When I try to log in, I see a message saying “We can’t find a match for that email address and password. Please double-check and try again.”
If you see this message, one of three things has happened:
- You’ve tried to log in with the wrong email address. If you have several email addresses, try logging in with a different one.
- You’ve entered the wrong password. Try again, being extra careful with your spelling. Don’t try too many times, however, or you may get locked out of your account.
- You haven’t successfully signed up yet. You might try signing up again – we’ll tell you if you already have an account.
In rare cases, it might be a bug. You can get in touch using our contact form and our technical team will help you out.
I want to change the email address I use to log into Drive.
Due to emails being the unique identifier for accounts, changing the email address effectively means we need to create a new account and migrate all existing progress from the old account to the new one. We can certainly do this. However, if you haven’t made much progress, it would be simpler for you to create a new account with the new email address and delete the old account.
If you want to change or update the email address associated with your account please get in touch using our contact form and we’ll sort it out for you.
I get an error when I try to sign up to Drive through Facebook
If you get an error that says “Facebook sign up failed”, it probably means you’ve tried to sign up with Facebook but don’t want to share your email address or date of birth.
You can’t sign up to Drive unless you tell us your email address and date of birth. We need this information to give you the best possible experience, and to make Drive a better resource for other young drivers.
If you decide you’re happy to tell us your email address and date of birth, and want to sign up through Facebook again, follow these steps:
- Go to the App settings page on Facebook.
Facebook App settings
- Find the Drive icon and remove it by selecting the ‘X’. It will look like this:
- Return to Drive.govt.nz and refresh your browser.
- Sign up again through Facebook. When it says ‘Drive will receive: your public profile and email address’, select ‘Continue’.
If you’re still having problems, get in touch using our contact form.