Get to know the pedals and gears before you drive off. It'll keep your eyes on the road, instead of at what you're doing.
Where should you practise this?
In the car you're using for driving practise, before you start driving.
- Start with the engine off while you practise using the pedals and gears.
- Practise moving the gearshift from park to drive, neutral and reverse until you no longer have to look down at what you're doing.
- There are two pedals in an automatic car.
- The accelerator is on the right. The brake is on the left.
- You control both pedals with your right foot.
- To change between Park, Drive, Neutral or Reverse put your foot on the foot brake and push the button on the side of the gearshift.
Starting the engine, moving off and stopping